Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asian problems
^that's Markham for you haha...with 65.4% of our population a visible minority (including 34.2% Chinese), we're the most diverse municipality in Canada rofl...there's even a sign that says that when you enter the city -__-". Maybe you should move here Big Grin but i guess Richmond BC would be closer to you haha (they're a close second at 65.1%)

as for my school, you can read about the University of Waterloo in this controversial article by Maclean's titled "Too Asian?" LOL http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/11/10/too-asian/
[Image: jjsig3.jpg]
^UofW ...guys totally outnumber girls too.
I am also awful with the titles of songs and singers whether in English or in chinese. If it's the major overplayed ones I will know but in general can't ID names. Western shows I pretty much watch a lot too it is free and mainly all US shows not Canadian productions. The problem is a lot of the sitcoms and shows are running for a few seasons already, hard to catch up. I watch Big Bang theory, gossip girl, vampire diaries, true blood, big brother, America's got talent, x factor, dancing with the stars, the voice. SB you can checkout some of those reality shows.
Blah, In Melbourne, I went to a predominately Asian high school. My brother went to a school with 90% Asians :p There was an article in the paper discussing whether the school was "too Asian". Students wrote back and told the author to shut up because it was consistently one of the top schools in the state.

Sb, I hope the situation gets better for you. Sometimes you can't really blame people if they grew up without knowing any better. If you go to rural areas where it is not very multicultural, the same would happen, but in reverse. I remember travelling with my friend who was tall, blonde and looked like a Ken doll. Everyone stared at him in Malaysia. So if your colleagues don't stop, just ignore them. There's no need to pretend to assimilate but it may make your life easier.

Plus, the big bang theory is an awesome show.

Blah, I'm the opposite. I watched tvb when I was younger and the US shows were too "adult" for me. Now I watch tv shows like Suits/Community and I find TVB absolutely rubbish. American dramas are a lot faster than TVB, definitely no fluff scenes where they sit around a dining table. :p
[Image: prettyeason.jpg]
^haha so trueee. my high school was like 90% asian too and it was the highest ranked public school in the province...funny enough several neighbouring schools were also near the top and they were all pre-dominantly asian as well Tongue

And yeah iunnoo, i find English language dramas that span 3, 4, 5+ seasons slow compared to single-season Asian dramas (especially Japanese dramas which last 10 episodes rofl), at least if you're talking about the overall storyline development. Though i completely agree that they're generally higher in quality...which is why i don't watch TVB either and only watch American sitcoms haha (i find that sitcoms take less concentration lol and the entertainment is more "instant" because it's just joke after joke)

I DO like Suits though haha (filmed in Toronto yeye). Actually SB, if you wanna find something to watch just for the sake of having a discussion topic, i definitely recommend Suits! It's only on its second season and the first one was only 12 episodes so you'll be able to catch up quickly! The Big Bang Theory I watched up to season 3 and then got kinda bored of it...though maybe i should've continued cuz i heard it got better again. The first season of Community was awesomeee though the second season was very hit and miss imo. I like 30 Rock and Modern Family best Big Grin (though it seems like not everyone likes the humour in 30 Rock)

And yes kjh, that's also very true hahaha
i defy stereotypes ;D

im 6' tall
drive good (no at-fault accidents, or tickets)
suck at school XD LOL
can cook
everyone knows who joey is cuz of me HAHAHA Big Grin
[SIZE="1"]Nikon D5000/D600/D4 (Nikkor AF-S 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70 f/2.8G VR ED | Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II | Speedlight SB-800 | TimBuk2 Snoop Camera | Crumpler Industry Disgrace) | Facebook | Flickr[/SIZE]
blablablah Wrote:^that's Markham for you haha...with 65.4% of our population a visible minority (including 34.2% Chinese), we're the most diverse municipality in Canada rofl...there's even a sign that says that when you enter the city -__-". Maybe you should move here Big Grin but i guess Richmond BC would be closer to you haha (they're a close second at 65.1%)

as for my school, you can read about the University of Waterloo in this controversial article by Maclean's titled "Too Asian?" LOL http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/11/10/too-asian/

You seem incredibly proud of Markham, blablablah, lol...

I personally think this place is an embarrassment, half the people here can't even speak English.
Maybe not 'proud' but i'm happy to call it home. It has its pros and cons...though i don't know about it being an 'embarrassment.' Yeah there's a big immigrant population but it's still relatively affluent, schools are good, crime rate is low...i don't really don't see anything so 'wrong' with it that would make it an embarrassment. MAYBE certain parts as you get a bit more south, but i'm happy with my area lol
lol I guess it's luckier here in AUS with the multiculturalism. imo at least half my department is non-white, and not talking about only asians but indians, africans, extremely-accented europeans, etc.

Perhaps give yourself a try at the western culture? I found that a little conformation works rather well since everyone will share the same ground of interests, however little it is. So watch some tv shows, listen to some music. In fact, I think I've grown increasingly critical of TVB shows after seeing stuffs like Bones etc which takes 10mil+ USD to make per episode xD
Hmm ... I've never seemed to have these problems. Or maybe I'm just not Asian enough in comparison to the people around me. There is an incredible number of internationals at Uni.
Weirdly enough, my friends from high school all think I'm obsessed with Asian culture/stuff and my family is under the impression that I have no idea about anything Asian at all. (It surprises them when I can read the newspaper headlines O_O and they have no clue that I even know who Joey is.)

One of my major interests is food, though ... and everyone loves food so I just stick to that. If you started talking to me, 99% of the time, the conversation would end up being about food. Big Grin But I guess you can't really talk about food forever. T_T
thanks for the article, blah, it was a good read.

Dengero Wrote:lol I guess it's luckier here in AUS with the multiculturalism. imo at least half my department is non-white, and not talking about only asians but indians, africans, extremely-accented europeans, etc.
canada is known to be a multicultural country, but ppl tend to make friends with other ppl of the same race, and i think that happens no matter where u are. i'll bet everyone here has mostly asian friends and probably hangs out with asian groups at least 90% of the time. (yes, i am generalizing.)
i have some JGers on fb: hey, y u no hang out with white ppl/non-asians??? :p

about half my friends are asian, and not surprisingly, among my closer friends, more of them are asian than non-asian. unlike a lot of my asian friends, i DO hang out with white friends and i'm proud of it. i don't like it when ppl, especially CBCs, only have asian friends. i'm like, u live in canada, u don't have any language barriers, why dont u have any white friends? but at the same time, i know it's easier said than done. it comes from a lack of effort from ppl from both cultures. i have had experience with this, where it was obvious that other asians made an effort to become friends with me. for example, this one time after class, an asian girl was walking with me in the opposite direction that she actually had to go to take the bus home (i didn't know till after), just to talk to me.

van & blah: 90% asian schools? i went to schools that had chinese programs, and they were at most a 50% chinese population.
[Image: Joeybanner174edited.png]