Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rant] Ugh, my 500 GB hard drive probably died
Not exactly sure what's wrong, but it can't start up, and I even tried opening it and connecting another cable, doesn't sound like it's moving.

I don't think I lost anything important, except my Windows installation, and some DVD rips and songs.

I'm just annoyed, and it's Chinese New Year, AND I've been sick on and off for a month now. Confusedweating:

I think I might setup a RAID 1 so that I will have some backups on the fly so this doesn't happen in the future.
This sound like a rant topic hahaha (move to rant)

Luckily you didn't lose anything important tho... If my 3TG hdd died, I might kill myself rofl. I did drop it once on the floor tho =/ so luckily it was durable.

Anyway, I didn't really have a good start to the year either, we're on the same boat haha.
[Image: yesasia-logo.gif]

Help JG earn commission by ordering Joey albums on YesAsia via this link
what is a RAID1?

this better not happen to me cuz all my Joey stuff and essays are on there
[Image: Joeybanner174edited.png]
ug that sucks...maybe ask the handyman or better yet. a computer expert to try and fix it. hope u get it to function again
[Image: 6t1u6c.jpg]
RIP JG

so the comp isn't even detecting it?
newbie123 Wrote:Anyway, I didn't really have a good start to the year either, we're on the same boat haha.

same here!!

i was late for school today and i broke my glass water bottle =.=
what a way to start off the CNY..haha
[Image: giveloveabreakbanner.jpg] [Image: kju32.gif]
^No uni for me till March HOHOHOHOHOHOHO
Hairball Wrote:Not exactly sure what's wrong, but it can't start up, and I even tried opening it and connecting another cable, doesn't sound like it's moving.

I don't think I lost anything important, except my Windows installation, and some DVD rips and songs.

I'm just annoyed, and it's Chinese New Year, AND I've been sick on and off for a month now. Confusedweating:

I think I might setup a RAID 1 so that I will have some backups on the fly so this doesn't happen in the future.

Sorry to hear about your drive, but did you try plugging the 500gb hard drive to another computer just to see if its not just your computer?
[Image: Coolpplse.gif]
what kind of cable does it use? have you tried using a different cable?

what brand/model number?

did you hear any weird noises coming from the hard drive prior to or during the time you had problems?

raid is not really a solution to not losing data. id suggest u to save important non replaceable items onto a dvd or something like pictures. i periodically burn my pictures onto dvds incase something dies. dvds are cheap so why not?

i considering using raid for my two 1.5TB harddrives but i thought.. nothing really important and i need teh space so i said **** it. =P
QOObrethren Wrote:ug that sucks...maybe ask the handyman or better yet. a computer expert to try and fix it. hope u get it to function again

Haha, well I kind of am a computer handyman, I just don't have energy right now to test it in more depth, but I suspect it's probably dead.

iandroo888 Wrote:what kind of cable does it use? have you tried using a different cable?

what brand/model number?

did you hear any weird noises coming from the hard drive prior to or during the time you had problems?

raid is not really a solution to not losing data. id suggest u to save important non replaceable items onto a dvd or something like pictures. i periodically burn my pictures onto dvds incase something dies. dvds are cheap so why not?

i considering using raid for my two 1.5TB harddrives but i thought.. nothing really important and i need teh space so i said **** it. =P

It's a Seagate 7200.11 (don't have the exact model # on me right now), apparently there are some issues with that line. It uses a SATA cable, I haven't tested with another one yet though.