Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critique of this Year's Hong Kong Music Industry
Translated by 60699 @ asianfanatics.net
Taken from ol.mingpao.com

Critique of this Year's Hong Kong Music Industry

Chow Gwok Fung 周國豐's Critique
RTHK radio station's voting supervisor, Chow Gwok Fung 周國豐, used his professional point-of-view to comment and critique the 2006 Hong Kong music industry.

Chow Gwok Fung can only describe this years Hong Kong music industry as a drop in quality/standard. Even the top singers can only be described as maintaining their standard [as opposed to increasing their standard], at best. He says, "If you need me to immediately choose this year's top 10 songs, it is a challenge. Most songs have dropped in quality, and if a song has maintained quality, that alone is considered great." The drop in quality may be the result of the same couple of composers and lyricists in the industry, Chow Gwok Fung explains. He says, "This past year, record companies have used re-arranged foreign songs, which has helped the quality of music in Hong Kong by promoting listenable songs without interfering with Hong Kong's style of music."

As for the male singers, Chow Gwok Fung feels Eason Chan has a good chance at awards with good songs such as, 最佳損友, 落花流水 and 裙下之臣. He says, "Eason's albums this year do not have a boring moment, listenability is very high, and there are no similarities. When a record company is producing an album it is hard for them to find a balance between artistic music and marketable music, but Eason's company has found that balance. The number of albums released by Eason this year is considered high, but he has maintained the results of each album throughout the year."

Song of the Year for the male singers, Chow Gwok Fung favors Eason's 最佳損友 and Leo Ku's 愛得太遲.

As for the female singers, it has been said that there is a shortage of [quality] female singers [compared to male singers], but Chow Gwok Fung does not think so. He names Janice Wei, Stephanie Cheng, and Denise Ho as being good female singers this year. He says, "Janice Wei had a great year, five of her songs made it to No. 1 on RTHK's music chart. Not to forget that she has a very good image, there's almost nothing bad to say about her and she has a healthy image. Her company chooses the right songs for her, and those songs fulfill the market's needs. Overall, Janice's songs give a feeling of fresh and new, and the one area Janice needs to work on is maintaining her quality when singing live."

Chow Gwok Fung describes Denise Ho's performance as having the style of "Ah Jie." Also on her plate is a very high quality concert performance where she stood out. As for Joey Yung, her songs have dropped in quality compared to previous years. She has not introduced a highly popular song this year. Miriam Yeung, with an ending contract and company changes, it will affect her award chances, but it is unavoidable.

When asked whether it's because of the lack in [quality] female singers, Denise and Janice has gotten to be on top? Chow Gwok Fung responds, "I don't think so. Even if there was an abundance of [quality] female singers, both have enough skill to make it to the top."

Siu Ye Jim 少爺占's Critique
CRHK (Chik Chak) 903's executive, Siu Ye Jim 少爺占, adds his point-of-view.

This year for male singers, it is between Eason Chan and Leo Ku. He says, "Leo took a different road in his music this year and had much success. When comparing him to Eason, one is active and the other is quiet. Leo is the quiet one and his style is steady. Eason on the other hand is very active and he likes change. Although this year's album sales have not been favorable, but being able to have new styles and with songs being played on mobile phones, I'm sure the singer has a certain status to be able to do so."

For female singers, Siu Ye Jim feels Fiona Sit and Denise Ho have the best chance. He says, "Fiona's pretty with a pretty voice and her live singing can move people. Denise, with a very successful concert that gained her much recognition, she will surely receive a lot of awards at the end of the year."
H2o 1da
[Image: SCww2.jpg]
Loves Jo B ; Loves Jessica ; Loves Myolie; Loves Skye
lol, gj Mich in helping me defend Joey Big Grin now i'm not the only person to post long ass posts defending Joey Big Grin

anyways, i don't really agree. i think EEG just sucks at choosing the songs to plug. a lot of songs on TMW has potential to be big (like Last Juliet, way too little promotion). as Kay said, a lot of songs in TMW are pretty good Big Grin
[Image: jjsig3.jpg]
blablablah Wrote:lol, gj Mich in helping me defend Joey Big Grin now i'm not the only person to post long ass posts defending Joey Big Grin

anyways, i don't really agree. i think EEG just sucks at choosing the songs to plug. a lot of songs on TMW has potential to be big (like Last Juliet, way too little promotion). as Kay said, a lot of songs in TMW are pretty good Big Grin

yeah, EEG sucks...... I mean honestly saying.. very few to no songs will become super hit without promotion, regardless of how good the song is..
H2o 1da
[Image: SCww2.jpg]
Loves Jo B ; Loves Jessica ; Loves Myolie; Loves Skye
I think that tmw had lots of great songs too! I thought Joey's songs were very good this year.
[Image: JoeyStarLightconcertSiggyWithDateUs.jpg]
i reckon tmw had great songs, but for some freakin reason, EEG dropped the support for it and didn't promote or plug anymore songs... freakin sakes.
maybe its also the stations fault for not playing the songs
OMG!! joey is losing her status n even janice,fiona,or denise can climb on her head. However,i feel wat Chow said is quite rite,joey doesnt hav a very very gud song tis year except last juliet which doesnt hav much promotion n plugging.I dunno y the company doesnt plug last juliet as i tink its the best song 4 joey tis year. Well, all i can hope is joey will come out with a fantastic n popular song in her coming album.N i tink SUM is not tat great n burst of joy is jz on above average level.Keep my finger crossed 4 her other songs hopefully they're gud.
Joey is the BEST!!
i agree.. there are some songs that are really gd.. at least i love them.. so just cuz he don't like them doesn't mean that everybody else thinks that way.. he's biased..
[Image: CandycowsBanner.jpg]
[Image: 008.png]

我甘心再次 困在你小宇宙損失看大世界的褔氣  embracing your return  <3<3<3:love::love:
Thanks for the news Michelle. I actually think that Ten Most Wanted was a great album but the songs that were plugged from it were not my favourite. Therefore I don't agree there's a drop in quality in Joey's music this year if you compared albums rather than just the songs that were plugged.
these critiques are biased Smile
Joey is pretty and with a pretty voice too, thank u very much 少爺占
[Image: joeybanner2-1.jpg]